Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blueberry Almond Scones

The idea for this recipe came from The Pioneer Woman recipe for vanilla bean scones. Looking at the recipe I thought these would be amazing. However, vanilla beans are very expensive (around $10.00 each) and the recipe called for 2 of them. So, I decided to adapt the recipe using things that I had. I figured they would be equally as yummy! Blueberries and almonds are something I always have in my freezer, so I thought I would give them a try. I have to say that they turned out just delicious. The tart blueberries, the crunch from the almond, the flaky biscuit, and the sweet glaze are a perfect combination!


What you will need....

 Scones:
3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks (1 cup) cold butter
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Glaze:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp vanilla

What to do:

In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then add chunks of the cold butter (I just  sliced both sticks into 8 slices).

If you have a pastry cutter this would be the time to use it, however I do not but I just used a whisk (it worked just great). What you are looking to do is to incorporate all the butter into the flour and sugar mixture, almost until you can't tell the butter is there.


When everything is mixed will, combine the cream, vanilla and egg together.


Make a well in the dry mixture and pour the wet into it. Use a fork to combine everything together.
After the mixture forms a ball and comes together add the almonds and blueberries. At this point I used my hands to mix, the blueberries are delicate so you don't want to mix too hard.


 On a floured surface dump dough and roll out into a 1/2 inch rectangle and cut into desired shape. I did triangles, but you could use a cookie cutter if you want a more perfect look (I like the rustic look)!



 Bake on a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown and let cool on a cooling rack.



While the scones are cooling mix the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla together to make the glaze.



 When scones are cooled dip them into the glaze and put them back on the cooling rack and let them set! If you want to omit the glaze they are very good without as well! ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment