Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Homemade chicken stock

I was at the store doing some major grocery shopping and there were whole rotisserie chickens on sale 2 for $10.00. I got 2 and when I got home divided them out into 4 portions. I put them into the freezer so when I make something like chicken alfredo or chicken taquitos (what we are having for dinner tonight) I already have cooked chicken ready, it just needs to be thawed. After I was done picking the chicken apart I really didn't want to waste the perfectly good chicken carcases, so I decided to make some stock.

What you will need:

2-chicken carcases (skin, bones,and all)
1-large onion (skin and all)
1-stock of celery
1-clove of garlic (skin and all)
5-carrots
4-medium potatoes
handful of parsley (not necessary, I just had some in the fridge, so I put it in)
salt and pepper
water

What to do:

In a large stock pot put the carcases and all the vegetables with salt and pepper and add water until it covers everything. Cook in the stove top on a low heat setting for about 2 hours. Strain all the liquid into a bowl and let cool. I divided my stock and put it into 16oz storage containers and put them into the freezer. The next time I make a soup, a hot dish, gravy, or anything else that calls for stock I have it. Store bought stock is very convenient but when you have the ingredients to make your own it is totally worth it.

I got a total of 6-16oz containers of stock out of this batch. 5 I put in the freezer and 1 I kept in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment